Friday, November 19, 2010

TDoT(10): Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know

Wow, do people have those? Really? People you wish you didn't know? Surely not. Maybe I'm just ultra-blessed, but I like all the people around me. Not all the time, of course, but mainly, when I feel like I wish I didn't know them, it's because I'm grumpy, not them.

Okay, maybe that's not entirely true, there are a couple of people I have needed to let go. One, who I wished I didn't know in the early hours of a Monday morning some years back, was Scrabble Boy (SB). We met on Facebook. Playing Scrabble. I love Scrabble and love even more that, on Facebook, you can just join a game, whenever. Which is what I did with SB.

First, we just played Scrabble, then we started chatting in the little box next to the board. He was funny, I liked him. He called me 'linguistically seductive', a sure winner in my eyes, especially as he spelt 'linguistically' correctly. Then we e-mailed, Skyped (he lives on another continent), we got to know each other. He was honest and sweet and told me all about the messed up situation he'd found himself in, with the unfortunately nasty mother of his very beloved young daughter, living in a house with her, purely so he could continue fathering his child.

Then it progressed to SMS-ing, trans-continentally, trans-time-zonally. It was fun, it was exciting, it became decidely naughty. He had experiences I couldn't have imagined, things that made him sound so... well... suitable. He kept talking about coming to visit.

To backtrack a little - I have always been extremely dubious of any kind of internet relationships. I was very clear with him about not wanting to ever be 'the other woman', even though we had never, physically, met. For me, a mentally-stimulating affair is just as bad, if not worse, than a physical one. He was upfront each time, explaining his relationship with this woman was non-existant, save for sharing a house. She sounded awful - vindictive and hateful.

You know where this is going... one Monday morning at 1am, my phone rang and on the other side was an extremely angry and rude woman who demanded to know who I was, and why my number was all over her 'husbands' mobile phone. Honestly, I went cold, denied any knowledge of who/where/what/how, and hung up. She tried to phone again, I turned my phone off. I e-mailed him the next morning, saying she'd contacted me and that this whole thing was over.

He e-mailed, he called, I didn't answer. I let him go. It was sad, because we got on so well, in so many spheres. I still don't know whether or not he was actually married. I have to admit, though, that I still believe he was being honest about her nature, regardless. I hope he's worked out by now that sticking around is not the answer, and will definitely not make for a good environment for his beloved daughter to grow up in.