Monday, November 22, 2010

Horrible news

My best friend lives in Sydney. Her mother lives here and survived breast cancer about five years ago. I’ve just got an e-mail from her saying her mum has it again, possibly in her lungs. She’s waiting to see the oncologist this afternoon. It’s at times like this that I hate the distance. I mean I always hate the distance, but even more so now. I’m sure she’s hating it more than me, though. It’s just crap.

It’s one of those things where there is nothing you can say or do to make it better. Makes me feel helpless, and I hate that. That helplessness thing again. Cancer is so very, very, frightening. Monstrous. And it makes my heart break.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yes, it is frightening but part of our lives. They say that if we live long enough, we`ll all develop cancer because that is part of our aging process.
But the slow dying is so sad, especially for the loving family and friends. Can`t say anything comforting, really.
I bought you some new chocolate.