Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Trafficking it

I feel like I'm trying too hard to write, rather than just writing, so I'm going to stop that. I wake in the night and think of things to write about and then I sleep and forget, like dreams that flutter out of my window. Moths flying into the dead of night, up and away.

My drive to work in the mornings takes me past a number of schools, one of them being a Very Expensive Boy's School (that breeds a Certain Type of Priviledge-expecting Boy). All of the children being dropped at this, and the other three schools on my route, seem to be dropped individually by their doting mommies and daddies. What happened to lift clubs, the school bus, and walking to school? While that may all be a sign of the times and probably a topic for large social debate, it's not my point. My point is that it makes traffic. And this makes my trip long. And, no, it's not about the state of the world and the fact that our kids can't safely walk to school anymore. It's about me. Of course.

So, you guessed it... I drafted another letter:

Dear Headmaster of Very Expensive Boy's School (that breeds a Certain Type of Priviledge-expecting Boy),

I drive past your school each morning on the way to work (nice new pool you've built there, by the way). And, while I like to see healthy young lads being dropped by their loving parents, and feel all warm and fuzzy about the fact that their heads will be filled with highly-educating facts for the day, followed by some healthy exercise, I'd actually be happier to miss out on this. The traffic just makes my trip too long and, honestly, a little irritated.

So, I was thinking that the easiest way around this, would be for you to change your school starting time. To 6:30am or 9am - you pick which one, I don't mind either way. It's completely up to you.

Thank you ever so much.

Yours sincerely,
Shiny.

P.S. While I have your attention, just one more thing: could you perhaps have a word with said doting parents about their environmental impact, please? I really don't think it's necessary for them to drive around the city in those gas-guzzling 4x4s... Some of which have seen a dust road about as often as I've seen the inside of a gym (that would be: none times).

Maybe if I took out the sentence between the brackets in the greeting line I might have a better response?

4 comments:

Frank J said...

kekeke

what a chuckle. I'm voting for a 9am start. I'd hit said school traffic it was a 6-30am start.

I walked from school every day from Grade 2! I was always dropped off though - my mother was deeply suspicious her little boy would bunk.

Angela said...

Did you send the letter? Because you are perfectly right! And what about chool buses? In Germany, most kids go to school by bicycle. There are always large bicycle parking places around each school.

Rambler said...

Hahaha.. I love your letters! Send it...

Shiny said...

Frank - clever mum! I'll tell him 9am

Angela - school buses don't seem to be around anymore here

Rambler - can you imagine his face? Might actually be worth it

x