Friday, September 4, 2009

An old friend returns

My friend H is here for the weekend. She has returned from 12 years in London and is staying with her folks for a month before moving to live in the City Beneath the Mountain, hopefully near me. This is brilliant. H is one of my oldest friends, from university. One of those friends who comes into my house, uses my towels, eats what's in the fridge, and it feels like home when she's here. It's just for the weekend now but will be for forever at the end of the month. I am filled with happiness.

This weekend, however, we need to find her a house to live in, preferably some good work contacts, some leads for places to buy nice furniture and a husband. Simple. We thought we could both do the last bit (one each, of course - I'd imagine sharing a husband could destroy even the most solid friendship) so I don't feel neglected on the To Do List, seeing as I have a house, two jobs, and furniture already.

Is it terrible, though, to discard the To Do List in favour of drinking wine, giggling like schoolgirls, and general misbehaviour?

5 comments:

allie. said...

This is so great!
Wasn't it you who had a dear friend move away recently?

Yay for another one to moving closer!
And no - not terrible.
Drinking wine, giggling like school girls and general mayhem sounds like just the right things to do.

mumplustwo said...

Shiny, I'm so happy for you. Doesn't The Universe work in a strange way? Your heart was sore because you'd lost The Pond to another place ... and now you have a 'new' old friend back in your world once again. Lucky, lucky you.

timothymarcjones said...

Shiny, screw to the to-do list. Friends are family, especially those cherished old varsity ones.

“Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.”
- Kurt Vonnegut

Shiny said...

Ah, you're all so right. I am a lucky little fish and we did abandon the to-do list and have loads of fun! xx

P.S. Fush - I love that quote. Clever man, old Kurt

Unknown said...

Very nice.
birthday sms