Saturday, September 26, 2009

Aliens

I did it. I finally did it. It's been the dinner table topic at every dinner party I've been to in the past month, and so I reluctantly went and did it, with slightly long teeth, I have to admit. I decided it was necessary, though, in order not to feel like I had a mouth full of teeth every time the subject came up. Rather long teeth, than a mouth full of them. Also, I like to support anything that has South Africa stamped all over it. And a friend of mine from varsity was in it (yes, yes, I know famous people!). I saw District 9.

And, as everyone had (repeatedly) told me, it was, indeed, impressive. It was raw, and real, and gritty. I cried. I just told one of my friends that. It was met with much mirth. I'm not afraid to admit it, I'm a real girl. I felt so terribly sorry for the aliens, and Wikus. It's a science fiction story, I know, but they have feelings too, aliens.

I was also quite disturbed by the level of violence and the graphicness of it. As I said, I'm a bit of a girl, especially when it comes to movies - I avoid gratuitously violent movies. It's not my thing. It worries me that I live in a world where it is so many people's 'thing'.

Perhaps I'm just oversensitive?

No comments: