Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Counting and travelling

I have one of those little counter thingamies on this blog, and a live feed thingamy. The live feed thingamy fascinates me completely - it tells you where people who stumble onto your blog come from. And it's amazing to see. I am, admittedly, very much a Geography girl - always loved it, it's genetic. But, also, it fills me with curiosity. Who are they?

Like, there's a regular visitor from Harrismith. I don't know anyone in Harrismith. I love that. And it is, of course, a huge ego boost to see that Harrismith comes to visit fairly regularly. It's that human desire for resassurance I guess, shining through in little anonymous Blogland.

But also, I'm a Google Girl. In fact, I may even go so far as to claim to being The Google Girl or, at least, a poster girl for Google. I love it. And now, in combination with my live feed thingamy, and my fascination with geography, I'm finding all sorts of places I'd never heard of before. Like Klaipeda - a Lithuanian city situated at the mouth of the Curonian Lagoon, where it flows into the Baltic Sea. The Teutonic knights built a castle there. Teutonic knights? Dudes who got together to help the Christians on their pilgrimages to the Holy Land and to establish hospitals to care for the sick and injured. And so on - then I get lost in a web of Googling.

How the person in Klaipeda found my blog, however, remains a mystery but does, of course, make me itch with curiosity. Point being, I love these little internet tools, and my counter thingamy turned 1000 yesterday so I thought it worth a little mention.

Excuse me though, I need to go and see where the Curonian Lagoon is...

10 comments:

tam said...

Just for the record - your counter thingy says I am Boksburg. I am not Boksburg. Never have been and never will. Unless there's another Boksburg coming here form Fleeeing Muses. How strange.
It is exciting though, isn't it?

Shiny said...

Oh, how funny - Boksburg! Mine sometimes says I'm Parow which I find equally as glee-inducing. Snigger. At least yours isn't Garsfontein - yet xx

Rambler said...

And it's time for me to come out... mine says Harrismith, so I'm your regular lurker... seems that's where our server is stored...

Caryn said...

Congrats on your 1000th hit!

For the record I show up as "Amsterdam, Noord-Holland", even though I promise I'm sitting at my desk in Cape Town. To think that all these naughts and ones are passing through Amsterdam before they reach you is quite boggling.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit it - I am in London. Your live feed thingamy has tracked me down...

Miranda said...

Oooh what a lot of fun! Now you have Lusaka on your list too!

jacki janse van rensburg said...

mine says: Johannesburg, Gauteng arrived from google.com on "AlmostThirtyThree: Counting and travelling"

actually, i'm from benoni. and i arrived from google, because i have you in my google reader.

congrats. and may there be many more 1000's...

Shiny said...

Clive! So you're Harrismith? How funny, and really you're ex-Boksburg, which Tam shows up as, even though she's Joburg, not Boksburg, and then there's Caryn who's Amsterdam but not really because she's actually Cape-Town and Jacki who really is Benoni but says Johannesburg, and Mud who really is London. Phew. And a quick trip from Lusaka as a cherry on the top. What fun! xx

Kerry said...

Corvallis, Oregon, via Fush and Chips via The Gold Puppy. That's how I got here! I lived in Boksburg for a year though, a long time ago, waaay before google.

Shiny said...

Kerry - wowee, Boksburg to Oregon - writing Oregon always makes me feel warm inside. I think it's because I have oregon pine floors in my house which have such a lovely, warm glow x