Monday, June 29, 2009

The Pond is leaving. Sob!

The Pond is leaving. This is a seriously, seriously bad thing. To the point that when she told me she had made her mind up, I asked her if I could just pretend it wasn't happening. You see it's not just that she's leaving our house in the middle of the street. That would be okay, and was supposed to happen - she was just staying here as a stop-gap between houses. Then she was moving into another house in another suburb with her love, who was moving here from Faraway. To The City Beneath the Mountain. But now she has decided to move to be with her love instead. Faraway. It's about 1000 fucking kilometres away. Too far.

I suffer from Separation Anxiety. In the severest form. And The Pond is one of my closest friends. It'll be like losing a limb really. I know that sounds over-dramatic but, hell, in case you haven't noticed, I am prone to a little over-dramatisation. And she's the kind of friend that, when we met, it felt like I'd known her forever.

As a lighter-but-related aside - does anyone know if it's true that when they say a place is 960km away from another, it is from the post office in The City Beneath the Mountain to the post office in Faraway? That's what I heard, but I was wondering if it were true. I suppose you do need a central point to measure from, but one (or, at least I) would've thought maybe they'd take it from the mayor's house or something. You know - somewhere where a person lives because, as far as I know, nobody lives in the Post Office. I suppose it's good to know, though, for in case you have a letter to post and you want it to have Faraway stamped on the envelope, instead of The City Beneath the Mountain.

Point being: Faraway is too far away. And I don't want her to go. I wonder if I could sabotage it by hiding all her bags? She can't leave if she has nothing to pack her stuff in, can she?

2 comments:

allie. said...

There should be a clause written into close friendship: "You are not allowed to move to faraway - ever"
Sigh.

Shiny said...

Oh I wish, that would make so much sense! x