Sunday, September 2, 2012

Axis-tilting

Every now and again, out of the blue, one meets someone that will alter the axis of one's earth. It is, in my experience, always completely unexpected and absolutely bloody fabulous. Sometimes it's not absolutely bloody fabulous initially, but it always becomes so. I'm not necessarily talking about only lovers or relationships, which always get the kudos for these axis-tiltings.

No, I am talking about the whole range - from a conversation with a stranger in a post office queue that alters your thinking, to the three-day affair with somebody society considers Most Unsuitable, all the way through to the lovers. All of them, the people that shape the way you think, the way you live, the way you love.

As Spring springs here on the tip of Africa and the birds begin a nest-building flurry amidst the sensual fragrance of jasmine twisting through the blossoms, I am reminded of one such creature. Once upon a time, a long time ago now, I fell whirwindingly in love with a Most Unsuitable Boy. I knew right at the beginning that it wouldn't last, that it couldn't last, that my heart would break, but for that short, electric period of time, I didn't care.

And did my heart break? Hell, yes. His too. But we knew it was going to happen, the inevitability of it made the electricity spark and crackle so much more brightly, a will-o-the-whisp amongst a drugdery-filled marsh, a firework display above a void.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. A reminder of a life to be lived, a heart that doesn't live within the confines of an ordinary life, blood pumping strongly through ones veins, air filling ones lungs, under a bright, star-filled sky.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh, the unsuitable boys...

We are really a sum of the parts, the stories compounding one upon another, and all of the people we meet, the things that we do, the places we go, aren't we? One shaping another. The tilted axis forming a part of how you go into the things that come next.

Shiny said...

Ah yes. The unsuitable boys are always the most thrilling, aren't they? And here's to axis-tilting on a Monday x

Angela said...

Reya says our friends change our DNA, and that`s it. And it can be strangers, and unsuitable lovers, anything. A goat once changed my attitude to animals. She was supposed to be nasty and rude and the people in the stable warned me of her, but I sat down and talked to her, and then she climbed on my lap and wanted me to scratch her between her horns, the spot she couldn`t reach. And then I knew for certain that animals are just like me. It still electrifies me.

Shiny said...

Ah Geli, that's lovely x