Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nowhere Boy

There is a moment in the movie where I literally lost my breath. I can’t remember that ever happening before. It’s not like it was some scary thriller perfectly suited to being watched on Halloween night, not at all. It was a sweet, beautifully shot portrayal of the early life of John Lennon, basically his adolescent years, before the fame of The Beatles, when he was just a naughty school boy in Liverpool - Nowhere Boy.

With stellar performances from Kristin Scott Thomas, as his strict aunt Mimi, who brought him up, and Anne-Marie Duff as his all-over-the-place but absent for most of his life mother, it tells a story of a boy discovering his roots, being adolescent, getting into trouble and causing his aunt much consternation and learning to love music.

I just got so engrossed in it that the completely unexpected moment, which I won’t divulge here, in case it spoils the movie for anyone reading this, took my breath away. Just like that.

I was saying to G afterwards that I always find it astounding, no matter how many times I am reminded by stories like this, that famous people, at least initially, are just like normal people. In fact, they are just normal people, famous or not. I hadn’t realised, however, how chequered John Lennon’s early history was. Let’s just say his wasn’t an easy time and a lot of the lyrics to his songs now make sense.

It’s a heartbreaking, interspersed with purely joyful scenes, story that reminded me that everybody, regardless of who they are or become, have amazing stories to tell. We all have our fair share of heartbreak and happiness, it’s what we do with it that matters.

John Lennon called his Aunt Mimi every, single, week, from the time he left home until he was assassinated. He was just a nice guy.

3 comments:

Angela said...

All true. People are just normal people, everyone, with a story to tell. A unique piece of art, our life.
Today is All Hallows day. I think that is nonsense, there are no hallows, or holy people. Do you know ANYONE who is holy? Thst`s just not the stuff we are made off, holiness. Just human, and that`s much better.

Angela said...

All true. People are just normal people, everyone, with a story to tell. A unique piece of art, our life.
Today is All Hallows day. I think that is nonsense, there are no hallows, or holy people. Do you know ANYONE who is holy? Thst`s just not the stuff we are made off, holiness. Just human, and that`s much better.

Shiny said...

Geli - xx